Bridgend Ravens
2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 26 v 20 Bedwas
08 October 2016 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend deservedly take the spoils

Bridgend RFC 26 Bedwas RFC 20

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 08 October 2016.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Bedwas came crashing back to earth at the Brewery Field as Bridgend tore up the form book to emerge deserved winners having dominated large parts of the game.

A Joseph Scrivens penalty goal after on two minutes set the tone as Bridgend starved Bedwas of possession. It got worse for Bedwas after seven minutes full back Marc Bennet-Jones crossing for a try, Scrivens added the conversion and his side were ten points ahead with barely eight minutes on the clock.

Bedwas were unable to get any momentum as Bridgend turned the screw. Things got tougher when prop forward Matthew Pettit was sinbinned for a line out offence but the fourteen remaining players dug deep and despite huge pressure from the home side did not concede any further points.

A long range Richard Powell penalty rebounded off a post to safety was as close as Bedwas came to scoring before finally the found some rhythm and a tackle bursting break by Robson Blake put James S Dixon in space and he duly touched down under the sticks. Powell added the conversion.

With half time approaching Powell added a penalty goal to tie up the scores and leave Bedwas supporters hoping that perhaps something could be salvaged from the day.

Scrivens added another penalty goal after 53 minutes before Dan Crimmins made a break past several home tacklers to set up Connor Edwards for a try. Powell converted and for the first time in the game Bedwas were ahead. Bridgend immediately responded with another Scrivens penalty goal to reduce the deficit to one point.

Bedwas looked to fight back but a flowing move across field ended in disaster as winger Andy Evans knocked the ball on straight into the hands of Bridgend’s Joe Gatt who sprinted 70 metres to touch down under the posts, Scrivens’ conversion putting his side six points ahead.

With the game coming close to its conclusion a further Scrivens penalty put his side nine points ahead and looked to have deprived Bedwas the consolation of a losing bonus point. However Richard Powell popped over a penalty goal of his own to rescue the bonus point. Drama followed as Bedwas launched one last foray into Bridgend territory deep into stoppage time, keeping possession of the ball may have led to better things but this was not to be as Bedwas kicked away possession to allow the home side a clearing kick to clinch a deserved victory.

Bedwas are back in action on Wednesday 12th October 2016 when Newport visit the Bridge Field for a Premiership Challenge Cup match, kick off is at 7-15pm. Tickets are priced at £5 for this game (no concessions), with under 16's free as usual. There are no Principality Premiership fixtures until Saturday 29th October when Bedwas welcome Swansea to the Bridge Field.


Attendance: 563

Official : David Cambourne (Wales)

Bridgend Bedwas