2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 37 v 5 Bargoed
16 September 2017 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Dominant second half keeps Bedwas in pole postion

Bedwas RFC 37 Bargoed RFC 5

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 16th September 2017

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 A dominant second half featuring four tries (three from the great impact made by replacements) earned Bedwas a fourth successive bonus point win on a showery, cool September afternoon.

Bargoed probably should have had the first points after the Bedwas scrum was penalised on the half way line but the kick was missed.

Both sets of forwards were in no mood to concede an inch and some rigorous tackling saw space at a premium.

Bedwas took the lead after 10 minutes as debutant Lewis Evans slotted a penalty goal after the Bargoed offline was adjudged offside. A second penalty minutes later increased the lead.

With defences’ dominant try scoring chances were few and far between; Mike Callow came close following a break but Bargoed found the try line midway through the half as their forwards drove over second row Matthew Thomas, the conversion attempt proving unsuccessful.

With both sides giving away penalties that were cleared to touch the first half could not reach a conclusion and 11 minutes into added time Bedwas finally crossed the whitewash as George Lee burst through for an unconverted try.

Bedwas up the ante from the off in the second half and slowly but surely began to gain the upper hand in the tight. This bought its reward as Craig Hudd was driven over by his pack colleagues for his maiden Bedwas try. Lewis Evans added the conversion.

After multiple replacements around the hour the third Bedwas try arrived as Brynley Toms only three minutes after joining the party crashed through the visiting defence; Lewis Evans making no mistake with the conversion.

Bedwas dominated territory and possession allowing the visitors only the occasional break but any hopes the visitors had of salvaging anything evaporated as second row Louis Blacker was yellow carded for foul play. Bedwas took advantage of the extra man and Dale Rogers emerged from a pile of bodies to claim the bonus point try. Lewis Evans successfully adding the conversion.

As Bedwas continued to hammer the visitors try line Bargoed discipline collapsed as replacement Keiron Brown was given a red card for serious foul play; Bedwas taking full advantage as Geraint Edmunds bulldozed through for a try just before the final whistle, Evans’ conversion missed the target but Bedwas celebrated a fourth bonus point win on the bounce.

Next week Bedwas visit another local rival as they travel the short distance to Pandy Park, Cross Keys, kick off at 2-30pm.

Chris Budgen was named the Man of the Match sponsored by Casa Mia restaurant of Caerphilly.

Attendance: 400

Official : Elgan Williams (Wales)

Bedwas Bargoed