2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 18 v 8 Cardiff
30 September 2017 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas maintain pole postion.

Bedwas RFC 18 Cardiff RFC 8

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 30th September 2017

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Irrepressible Bedwas continued their excellent early season form to see off Cardiff in a hard fought game at a wet Bridgefield.

First half chances to score were few and far between as both sides seemed to kick possession away at crucial times or possession was turned over; the wet pitch also slowing down any invention.

Bedwas replaced hooker Dale Rogers with Alun Rees after 34 minutes as they looked to improve a mis-functioning line out but it was the visitors who grabbed the first points of the game. Fly half Gareth Thompson notching a penalty after the referee adjudged Bedwas guilty of pulling down a rolling maul.

Steffan Jones had a chance to level things on the stroke of half time but missed a penalty goal chance. However he made amends very early in the second half and the scores were level.

Cardiff grabbed the first try of the game after 58 minutes. A penalty was kicked to the corner and after the Bedwas pack held firm Thompson and Dan Fish set up centre Owen Lane to power through a gap in the home defence.

Around the hour mark Bedwas replaced their starting prop forwards, this appeared to give the home side an advantage in the tight and immediately bought a scrum offence penalty. From the ensuing line out he referee adjudged Cardiff had illegally pulled down the maul and awarded a penalty try to Bedwas. To compound matters for the visitors back rower Reuben Tucker was adjudged the guilty party and despatched to the sin bin for a 10 minutes rest.

With a dominant scrum Bedwas continued to attack and created an overlap on the left but the final pass went astray with the try line begging.

With less than10 minutes to play a Bedwas catch and drive saw replacement hooker Alun Rees (making his first appearance of the season following surgery) driven over for a try to the right of the posts. Steffan Jones was not enjoying the best of afternoons with the boot and his conversion attempt missed. However with two minutes to play he found the target to repel any thoughts Cardiff had of salvaging anything from the game.

Next Saturday Bedwas host Ebbw Vale RFC in what should be another hard fought fixture, kick-off is at 2-30pm.

James Richards  was awarded the 'Man of the Match' sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly.

The match is being sponsored by Bedwas RFC members; if you would like to join them please contact Bill Price on 07484 609248 or Alwyn Thomas Snr.











Attendance: 500

Official : Aled Evans (Wales)

Bedwas Cardiff