2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 13 v 6 Llandovery
10 March 2018 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas dig deep to secure win

Bedwas RFC 13 Llandovery RFC 6

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 8th March 2018.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Two second half tries secured a hard earned victory for Bedwas on a dry March afternoon, the Bedwas pitch held up well considering the wet weather leading up to this game

Both side’s defences were on top for the first half with neither side finding the accuracy to break through.

Bedwas probably should have had the first points on the board, after a series of scrum’s close the Llandovery line they surprisingly opted to kick for goal despite being dominant in the preceding scrums. Unfortunately this did not bring about the desired result as Steffan Jones’ penalty goal attempt drifted wide.

It was Llandovery who eventually broke the deadlock on 32 minutes with a well struck long range penalty by Kristian Jones  but then found themselves down to 14 men with back rower Stuart Worrall sin-binned for a ruck offence. The lead was short-lived as the home sides’ Steffan Jones returned the favour five minutes later and the sides went into the break locked at three points each.

With the breeze at their backs for the second half Bedwas looked sharper in attack but Llandovery added the first points after 49 minutes via a Kristian Jones penalty in front of the posts after Bedwas were adjudged offside.

However Bedwas regained the lead a minute later as Geraint Edmunds charged down a clearance kick and reacted the quickest in the race for the loose ball to cross for an unconverted try.

The Bedwas defence held together as Llandovery tried to get back into the game but despite prolonged possession they could not add to their tally.

Bedwas flanker David McGuigan was injured during a tackle and the game was delayed for 10 minutes whilst McGuigan was assessed before walking off the field aided by the medical staff of both sides.

The break seemed to suit Bedwas better and after they came close  a quick pass from Steffan Jones to Mike Callow and onto Matthew John saw the wide man fend off a couple of tacklers to cross in the corner. Again the conversion went awry.

The game became a little fractious thereafter as tempers frayed and a couple of minor flare ups emerged but the referee kept his cards in his pocket.

Deep into stoppage Rhys Hutcherson was sin-binned for Bedwas but his remaining team mates dug deep to hold onto claim the victory.

Bedwas flanker James Richards was awarded the man of the match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly.

Next week Bedwas are in action on Friday evening as they travel to St Helen’s, Swansea for a fixture against the All Whites, kick-off is at 7-30pm.

Attendance: 200

Official : Aled Evans (Wales)

Bedwas Llandovery