2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 17 v 31 Quins
24 March 2018 - Bridge Field, Bedwas
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Strong first half by Carmarthen paves way for win

Bedwas RFC 17 Carmarthen Quins RFC 31

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 24th March 2018.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Three first half tries laid the foundations for a deserved win for Carmarthen although a second half fightback by Bedwas will put some positivity into what was overall a poor Bedwas performance.

Carmarthen looked ‘up for it’ from the first whistle and opened their after 13 minutes with number 8 Lee Taylor crossing for a try just right of the posts. Full back Aled Thomas adding the conversion.

A Steffan Jones penalty shortly afterwards put Bedwas on the scoreboard but the visitors monopolised possession and increased their lead three minutes later as a static Bedwas defence allowed right winger Dylan Morgans the time and space to slip through to touch down under the posts. Thomas easily added the extras.

Carmarthen kept up the pressure but mishandled a couple of chances to the relief of the home support.

Bedwas looked to get back into the game and an attack deep into the Carmarthen half was illegally stopped by a player entering the ruck from the side which surprisingly saw no yellow card for a cynical infringement.

From the ensuing penalty to touch Bedwas were inaccurate in setting up the driving maul leaving pack leader Alun Rees isolated and he was penalised for holding onto the ball on the floor.

From the ensuing penalty the visitors made the perfect counter attack which culminated in a second try for winger Morgans, Thomas kept up his 100% record with the boot to land the conversion.

Trailing 21 points to 3 at the start of the second half Bedwas head coach Ian Gardner would have hoped for a reaction to whatever was said during the interval. He got that reaction after just four minutes as Adam Williams ran in from deep to cross in the left hand corner; Steffan Jones accurately bisected the posts with his conversion to put Bedwas in double figures.

Bedwas made a couple of forward replacements as Dale Rogers normally a hooker came on to take a back row forwards job and with Dan Preece replacing Brynley Toms Bedwas set about reducing the arrears.

Captain Alun Rees popped up out wide and was found with a long pass and following a thirty five metre lung bursting run crashed over for a try again in the left hand corner. Jones’ successful conversion reduced the arrears to four points and the Bedwas faithful began to wonder if a comeback was on.

Their dreams were short-lived. After working their way up field the Carmarthen attackers were awarded a penalty after Bedwas adjudged off-side. With the home defence not expecting a quick restart scrum half Aron Hemmings tapped the ball and ran through for their fourth and bonus point earning try. Thomas again added the extras to give his side an unsurpassable lead.

Bedwas made a host of changes to replace tiring bodies but Carmarthen were able to absorb anything they could conjure up before an Aled Thomas penalty goal three minutes from time put the result beyond doubt.

Bedwas man of the match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Dale Rogers.

With a busy Easter schedule coming up (Good Friday March 30th away to Aberavon [2-30pm] and home to Bargoed on Easter Monday [2-30pm]) Bedwas will hope their bruised and battered bodies will have sufficient time to recover. With the end of the season in sight the games will be coming thick and fast as five days after the Easter Monday fixture Bedwas host Cardiff RFC.

Official : Simon Mills (Wales)

Bedwas Quins