2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bedwas 31 v 27 Cardiff
07 April 2018 - Bridge Field, Bedwas

Match Report

Bedwas hold off late Cardiff rally to cinch win

Bedwas RFC 31 Cardiff RFC 27.

Principality Welsh Premiership, Saturday 07 April 2018.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell

A Mike Callow try after 76 minutes clinched a hard earned win after a late rally by Cardiff looked like taking the spoils from an entertaining game.

Overnight rain had again threatened to draw a line under this game but hardworking volunteers spent time preparing the pitch to allow the game to go ahead.

After an opening 15 minutes when Bedwas lost starting backs Mike Hathaway and Pat Lewis both with hamstring pulls Bedwas opened the scoring as Matthew John forced his way over in the corner. Steffan Jones expertly added the extras.

Cardiff hit back with a Gareth Thompson penalty but Bedwas replied almost instantly via an Andrew Waite try in the same corner as the first try, this time Jones’ conversion fading wide.

It was nip and tuck but Cardiff left winger Llwyarch ap Myrddin collected a pass following a 40 metre Dan Fish break and with Thompson’s conversion saw half time arrive with Bedwas two points to the good.

Matthew John notched his second and Bedwas’ third try of the afternoon after 57 minutes, Steffan Jones’ conversion putting Bedwas 9 points ahead.

Scrum half Geraint Watkin crossed for a try improved upon by Thompson to take Cardiff back to within two points before sheer bloody determination from Bedwas skipper Alun Rees bought up the Bedwas bonus point fourth try; Jones again successfully converting.

With ten minutes left Thompson notched a penalty goal before crossing for a try which he converted to put his side ahead (by a solitary point) for the first time in the contest.

Bedwas heads didn’t drop and Mike Callow broke through some poor tackles to crash over for a Bedwas try which went unconverted.

Cardiff responded taking the ball deep into the Bedwas defence as they desperately fought to get a late winning score. It was not to be as the Bedwas defence held strong through to the final whistle to claim their third victory over the man from the capital this season.


 Following the game a very relieved Ian Gardner said:

“I am exceptionally pleased with the result and the manner in which we defended our line in the last few minutes as Cardiff are always tough opposition. I thought we were fairly dominant in the first half but it was not reflected on the score board. In the second half an improved Cardiff and some errors by our boys made the game too close for comfort. I credit the belief in our squad after being narrowly behind in the closing minutes that they came back with our 5th try of the day to clinch the win.”

Bedwas man of the match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Alun Rees.

Official : Rhys Thomas (Wales)

Bedwas Cardiff