Bedwas deservedly progress to the semi-finals.

Bedwas RFC 36 Brecon RFC 17

WRU Challenge Cup Quarter Final, Saturday 20th January 2024.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 After an evenly fought first half Bedwas resolutely defended their line to keep Brecon scoreless in the second half and scored seventeen points to emerge deserved winners to book a place in the semi-finals of the WRU Challenge Cup.

Considering the heavy frosts of the previous few days the weather relented to allow this game to    go ahead, it was cold with a keen breeze that greeted the players.

Brecon took the lead after seven minutes as nippy winger was on the end of a break from deep within their own half to open the score for Brecon as he crossed out wide. Dion McIntosh added the conversion.

Bedwas responded eight minutes thanks to a try from a driving maul claimed by Lewis Crane. James Dixon converted to level the scores.

A further eight minutes elapsed before Brecon increased their lead as back rower Osian Davies had the pace and power to exploit a hole in the Bedwas defence and cross for a try. Dion McIntosh successfully converted again.

Again, Bedwas responded this time Rhys Hutcherson being driven over for try, converted by Dixon to tie the scores.

Brecon retook the lead after 33 minutes as Dion Mcintosh fired over a penalty after a Bedwas ruck offence.

The scoring was not over and as half time drew closer a second Lewis Crane try of the afternoon put Bedwas ahead for the first time in the game. Dixon converted to put Bedwas 21 points to 17 ahead at the break.

Within a minute of the restart Bedwas had increased their lead courtesy of an Adam Williams who held some desperate tackles to cross. Dixon’s conversion kick crashed into an upright and bounced to safety.

Brecon’s attempt to get into the game came to nothing as the Bedwas defence held watertight as each player did his utmost to prevent any further scores.

A James Dixon penalty almost halfway through the half after Brecon were penalised for not releasing in the tackle extended the lead to twelve points.

Brecon continued to knock at the door, but knock-ons and a strong defensive effort frustrated their efforts.

Adam Williams notched his second and the teams fifth try with approximately twelve minutes to play as he made a good break down the left and again left a few would be tacklers for dust as he powered through.  James Dixon added the extras to put Bedwas nineteen points ahead.

Brecon fought to get something, but Bedwas were in no mood to surrender their advantage and they held on for a richly deserved win.

The draw for the semi-finals has not been made but other semi finalists are Ystrad Rhondda and Narberth already through to be joined by the winner of Bargoed versus Llangennech. This game will go ahead next Saturday (27 January) and with Bedwas scheduled to play at Bargoed this game will be rearranged. Watch this space for news of a Bedwas fixture next weekend.

The Bedwas Man of the Match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Tommy Chapman.

Today’s match gallery is at:

Rob Hill’s images can be seen here: