Bedwas victorious at Tata Steel as we say thank you and good luck to Mike Dacey

Tata Steel RFC 20 Bedwas RFC 47

WRU Admiral Championship, Saturday 06 May 2023.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Seven try Bedwas breezed past Tata Steel to record a well-deserved win on a warm afternoon in Port Talbot. For the first time ever for Bedwas the game was refereed by a female referee who controlled the game well.

After a quiet start when both sides sized each other up Tata had the first opportunity of points but outside half Chris Harris penalty kick grazed an upright before going wide after Bedwas were penalised at a ruck.

Bedwas took the lead after 14 minutes as scrum half for the day Iwan Burgwin burst through for a try, James Dixon adding the conversion.

The lead lasted two minutes as a Bedwas pass in midfield was intercepted by Tata’s Will Cutler who ran through to touch down for a try converted by Chris Harris.

Three minutes later Burgwin doubled his personal tally for the afternoon as he ran through from the back of a scrum for his second try of the afternoon, again converted by Dixon.

Bedwas hit a purple patch and five minutes later from a line out following a penalty at a scrum Rhys Hutcherson was driven over for a try which went unconverted.

The fourth and bonus point winning try followed shortly afterwards as Adam Williams bumped off a few would be tacklers to cross for a try, converted by Dixon.

Tata pulled a try back just after the half hour as hooker Jae Alexander forced his way over for an unconverted try.

There was still time for a fifth Bedwas try and a second one for Adam Williams who again beat off would be tacklers to cross for a try under the posts. Dixon added the extras, and the referee blew for half-time shortly afterwards with Bedwas thirty-three points to twelve ahead.

Seven minutes after the restart Bedwas increased their lead via a third try for Iwan Burgwin, converted by Dixon.

Tata’s Chris Harris reduced the deficit via a smartly taken drop goal after which Bedwas replaced Conor Walsh with Dylan Morgan.

Harry Oliver galloped through from deep to score Bedwas’ seventh try of the afternoon, again converted by Dixon which led to Bedwas making three replacements as Adam Williams, Mike Dacey and Rhys Hutcherson made way for Sam Davies, Josh Dunleavy and Ieaun John, respectively.

Dacey came back on after an hours play to replace Ben Drew and whilst Bedwas enjoyed much possession no further scores were conjured up.

Dylan Morgan was yellow carded with ten minutes to play for failing to retreat ten metres as the home side were awarded a penalty but although Bedwas were in control it was the home side who had last word as Taran Jones ran through for a consolation try which went unconverted.

Following the game hooker Mike Dacey announced he had played his last game for Bedwas. Dacey is due to get married very soon and will join the St Peters club his late father was a dedicated supporter of. On behalf of everyone at Bedwas RFC we thank Mike for his dedication and service. We wish him well with his future career as well as a long and happy marriage.

Next Saturday (13 May) Bedwas host Ystrad Rhondda RFC in a league fixture. Kick-off is at 2-30pm.

Today’s match images are at: