Superb team effort stretches winning streak to nine games!

Newbridge RFC 16 Bedwas RFC 19.

WRU Admiral Championship (East), Saturday 17 February 2024.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

Bedwas extended their winning streak to nine matches (7 league games and 2 Cup games) thanks to this hard-fought victory with once again excellent teamwork paying dividends.

Considering the recent wet weather the Newbridge pitch was in good condition, but second half rain made things difficult for both sides.

After four weeks of inactivity both sides took time to build any rhythm. Bedwas should have opened the scoring but spurned three kickable penalties in favour of going to touch. One of these kicks being kicked out of play and no reward was forthcoming.

It was Newbridge who claimed the first points of the afternoon courtesy of a Robbie Turley penalty kick after 17 minutes.

Both sides slugged it out before Newbridge increased their lead with a try out wide by centre Josh Thomas improved by Turley’s conversion.

With the half coming towards its end Bedwas pulled a try back with Lewis David showing great determination to crash over, James Dixon added the extras.

Newbridge increased their lead with a last-kick-of-the-half penalty from Turley and went into the dressing rooms thirteen points to seven ahead.

It didn’t take long for Bedwas to get on the scoreboard in the second half, quick decisive passes along the line to Max Rivers saw the winger beat a couple of defenders to dive over out wide. Dixon’s conversion drifted wide, but the deficit was a single point.

Excellent work from the forwards set up Dale Rogers for a close range try with eleven minutes played. Dixon added the conversion and Bedwas led for the first time in the contest.

Robbie Turley missed a long-range penalty shot but Bedwas were penalised at the restart and Turley took the opportunity close the gap to six points.

Harry Oliver was sin binned shortly afterwards for an alleged high tackle, but Bedwas held out all attempts from the home side to score further points.

Jo Hole came on for Oliver at the end of the sinbinning and both props were replaced with fresh legs.

Bedwas attacked but came away with nothing from a line-out in the twenty-yard area with the referee missing a clear Newbridge knock-on from a short-thrown line out.

Nevertheless, the entire Bedwas side continued to put their bodies on the line and with the clock showing time up gleefully kicked a penalty to touch to signal the end of the game to the delight of the Bedwas supporters.

Bedwas are next in action at Cross Keys RFC on Friday 23rd February, kick-off 7-30pm.

Today’s match gallery is at: Bedwas RFC’s albums | Flickr