Bedwas maintain unbeaten league record.

Tata Steel RFC 20 Bedwas RFC 44

WRU National Championship, Saturday 16th November 2019.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

A strong second half performance by the Bedwas forwards earned a bonus point and 6th successive league win after a scrappy first half saw the home side lead at the interval.

Tata started on the front foot and a fourth minute penalty goal by full back Geraint Llewellyn put them ahead before Dion McIntosh replied with a score of his own to level things up.

Undeterred Tata continued to press and were rewarded with a try by right winger Morgan Williams who found a gap to cross; Llewellyn added the extras to increase the lead. An unconverted try by outside centre Bleddyn Davies increased the Tata advantage as Bedwas struggled to find any rhythm but after a series of forward drives and with half time approaching a pin point Dion McIntosh cross field kick was collected by Alec Jones to cross in the corner. McIntosh added the extras to reduce the arrears to five points at the interval.

Own Jones replaced the injured Dale Rogers at half time and if any harsh words were spoken in the dressing room during the break the players responded immediately as Tata possession deep in their 22 metre area was turned over. The Bedwas forwards kept the ball and captain Jonathan Armitage emerged from a pile of bodies to claim the try which with McIntosh’s conversion put Bedwas into the lead for the first time in the contest.

Two further McIntosh penalty goals after 49 and 54 minutes saw Tata resistance begin to wane and their pack suffer a few injuries.

Outside centre Bleddyn Davies pulled a try back for the home side to reduce the deficit but Bedwas turned the screw and James Richards was driven over for a try converted by McIntosh and a 30 points to 15 lead; enough of a lead for Bedwas to make changes as both starting props were replaced and full back James Hallett made way for Bradley Williams.

Mike Dacey (making his 50 the appearance for Bedwas) was driven over for the fourth and bonus point earning try with 8 minutes left to play, again converted by McIntosh but Bedwas were not finished as lock forward Matthew Bovington stretched out to touch down on the final play of the day. McIntosh’s successful kick gave him a 100% kicking record on the day and a personal tally of 19 points.

Next Saturday Bedwas welcome the students of Cardiff Metropolitan University to the Bridgefield.

Images from this game can be found at: