First half costly, second half won!

Bargoed RFC 45 Bedwas RFC 17.

WRU Admiral Championship, Tuesday 25 April 2023.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Conceding thirty-one first half points gave Bedwas a mountain to climb but the team dug deep for the second period which they won seventeen points to fourteen.

Bargoed were quickly onto the front foot with full back Dylan Williams crossing the whitewash on the far right with only a minute played. Steffan Jones was unsuccessful with the conversion attempt.

Bedwas were finding it difficult to get out of their own half and on 14 minutes scrum half James Leadbeater doubled their lead with a try converted by Steffan Jones. Four minutes later Dai Evans found space on the right to dot down for his team’s third try, again unconverted by Jones.

The Bedwas scrum was finding life difficult against a physically bigger and heavier pack and after a scrum penalty and resulting line out outside centre Dwayne Dyer crossed for a try, Jones successful with the resulting conversion.

Number 8 Corey Thomas was driven over for a try from a close-range scrum with thirty minutes played, Jones converted and with 10 minutes of the half to be played it was looking like it would be a long night for Bedwas.

No further scores were added as Bedwas managed to prevent any further scores.

Bedwas started the second half in determined fashion. Will Fishlock made good ground with a break early in the half and the ball went through the hands for Dewi Thomas to score his first try for the first team. James Dixon added the extras.

Nine minutes later Bedwas added a second try from a catch and drive line-out, Tommy Chapman forcing his was over, Dixon missed the conversion.

Bargoed responded almost immediately as a kick through, and chase saw full back Dylan Williams first to the ball to touch down for a try converted by Steffan Jones.

Bedwas continued to press and with half of the half to play Liam Jenkins ran through for an unconverted try.

With six minutes to play Dai Evans added his second try of the evening, converted by Jones but Bedwas continued to press. Bargoed’s fly half Matthew Lewis was sinbinned and Bedwas sensed a chance to grab a bonus point for four tries but despite coming close on a couple of occasions the home defence kept them at bay.

Positives for the night must be the performances of Dewi Thomas who stepped into the starting line-up in place of Harry Oliver who was held up returning from a break in Spain and a promising contribution from 18-year-old backrower Angus Brown on permit from Abergavenny RFC.

Bedwas are next in action on Saturday 29 April 2023 when we welcome Trebanos RFC to the Bridgefield before visiting Pontypool on Wednesday 3rd May, kick off at 7-30pm.

Images from this game are at: Bedwas RFC’s albums | Flickr