Too many first half errors prove costly

Bedwas RFC 24 Beddau RFC 34.

WRU Admiral Championship, Saturday 04 March 2023.

Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.

 Too many first half errors proved costly to Bedwas as Beddau took advantage to earn a deserved win at the Bridgefield.

On a cold March afternoon Bedwas started on the front forward and after several drives by the forwards the ball was spun out to Lloyd Wilkins to cross for a try with only four minutes played. James Dixon’s conversion hit an upright and bounced out of play.

Bedwas were close to a second try ten minutes later only for Mike Dacey to be denied a try due to a foot in touch. From the resulting line-out Beddau made rapid ground up field and winger Ewan Roberts exploited a static Bedwas defence to cross for a try about a metre in from the corner flag. Outside half Cameron Evans missed the conversion.

It got worse for Bedwas five minutes later as once again the defence was caught off guard as a jinking run from deep by full back Cody Baker saw him run in from deep to touch down under the posts. Evans added the conversion.

Bedwas attempts to get back into the game were thwarted by mishandling and concession of penalties and with half an hour played they extended their lead via hooker Lloyd James who driven over from a line-out on the right. Evans was again successful from the kicking tee to further extend his sides’ lead.

Again Bedwas attempts to reduce the arrears slipped away allowing the visitors to extend their lead three minutes before the interval. Winger Ewan Roberts took advantage of some mis-tackling in midfield to notch his second try of the afternoon. Evans missed the conversion.

With virtually the last play of the half Bedwas reduced the arrears as Liam Jenkins burst through to cross, Dixon added the conversion and Bedwas went in for the break 24 points to 12 down.

Bedwas replaced both starting props and backrower Rhys Jones (the latter due to a shoulder injury) at the start of the second half.

Bedwas dominated possession for a lengthy spell but the Beddau defence remained resolute.

With an hour played Dylan Morgan replaced Sam Davies and Harry Oliver replaced Matthew Bovington in a bid to rescue something from the game. Within two minutes of entering the fray Oliver picked up a loose ball and charged through for a try converted by Dixon.

Bedwas continued to dominate the possession but it was Beddau who made sure of the victory with a fifth try of the game by replacement front rower Ben Lee, Cameron Evans’ conversion putting his side 12 points ahead with 10 minutes to play.

With three minutes to play Ben Sier forced his way over to try to earn Bedwas a bonus point for four tries and a possible second bonus point for finishing the game within seven points of their opponents.

However, the losing bonus point was snatched away courtesy of a last gap penalty kick from Cameron Evans to leave Bedwas with a single bonus point for their efforts.

Bedwas will be back in action on Friday 10th March when neighbours Bargoed come to the Bridgefield for a keenly anticipated league fixture, kick-off is at 7-15pm.

Bedwas man of the match sponsored by Casa Mia Restaurant of Caerphilly was awarded to Rhys Morgans.

Today’s image gallery is at: Bedwas RFC’s albums | Flickr