Bedwas crash out of the Cup

Cardiff RFC 43 Bedwas RFC 12
WRU National Cup, Saturday 23rd March 2019.
Match report and photography by Ian Lovell.
Six Cardiff tries put Bedwas’ cup ambitions to bed for another season as the home side swatted aside a Bedwas side which rested several players with six hugely important league games to come.
Cardiff started off at pace, maintaining possession which earned a penalty after Bedwas were caught offside allowing Gareth Thompson a successful shot at goal with only three minutes elapsed.
Morgan Allen crashed through for the first try of the day two minutes later, Thompson’s conversion putting his side in double figures with only 6 minutes played.
Cardiff were in no mood to ease up and Will Rees-Hole was next over for a try with only 11 minutes gone, again Thompson added the extras.
Bedwas tried to rally but lost possession at crucial stages as chances went begging. At the other end Cardiff were more clinical as Joe Gatt crossed for their third try after 28 minutes, again converted by Thompson.
Bedwas dug deep and no further scores were added in the first half.
Luke Crane replaced Rory Harries at the start of the second half and made an immediate impact as he dived under two would be tacklers to cross for a try with five minutes of the half elapsed. Jacob Chilcott’s conversion attempt drifted across the posts.
Cardiff responded immediately with hooker Joey Tomlinson crossing for try, Thompson maintaining his 100% goal kicking statistics.
From the restart Luke Crane was first to the ball to race through for a try, this time Chilcott successfully added the conversion.
Bedwas tried hard to reduce the arrears further but Kane Teear-Bourge’s kick through and chase was just too strong as the ball went over the dead ball line.
Former Bedwas front rower Ian Jenkins came off the replacements bench after an hour and marked his appearance with two tries in four minutes, the second converted by Steffan Jones to kill off any hopes Bedwas may have had.
Jenkins was the sin-binned for a late tackle but Cardiff’s defence held out and no further scoring occurred.
Bedwas will be pleased to have come through the fixture with no injury worries as attention no turns to the battle for survival in the Principality Welsh Premiership which begins next Saturday (30th March, 2-30pm) when RGC 1404 visit the Bridgefield.

Bedwas RFC would like to send our heartfelt condolences to former Head Coach Steve Law as we learn that his mother has recently passed away. Steve has been a huge part of Bedwas over the years and we would like to show our solidarity at this difficult time.

Images from this game can be found at: